Registration for winter season is now open!
Get registered for your league before late fees are charged.
What is The NYBA?
The Newtown Youth Basketball Association (NYBA) in Newtown, Connecticut, is a thriving community organization dedicated to fostering a love for basketball and providing opportunities for the youth to develop their skills, sportsmanship, and teamwork. Founded in 1969, NYBA has become a prominent fixture in the local sports scene, engaging boys and girls of various ages.
The Newtown Youth Basketball Association is a community pillar, empowering youth to excel in basketball while nurturing personal growth, teamwork, and sportsmanship.
Objectives & Expected Level Of Play By Division
All programs available for both girls and boys
Pre-K - 2nd Grade
This instructional division focuses on basic skills to learn the game with a fun approach. Experienced instructors emphasize inclusivity to encourage all children to feel comfortable with the game.
- One group for Pre-k & Kindergarten (aka Biddy) and one for 1st & 2nd graders.
- Biddy sessions are only on Saturdays.
- 1st & 2nd graders play on Sat. mornings and an evening during the week.
- Parents can request which weekday during registration.
3rd Grade - 8th Grade
This is a continuation of the instructional division and an introduction to gameplay. Separate leagues for 3rd/4th, 5th/6th, and 7th/8th grades. Ability levels vary greatly and all kids are encouraged to join at any age.
- Parent coaches
- 10 game season. All games are on Saturday mornings.
- One weeknight practice per week.
- Separate boys and girls leagues.
- Equal playing time for every player.
5th Grade - 8th Grade
The NYBA Travel Program is a more competitive option for kids in middle school that want to take basketball more seriously.
- All players must try out for teams. Kids who are cut are assigned to rec teams.
- Typically there are 1 or 2 teams, per grade, per gender, depending on the number of interested kids.
- Tryouts are in August for the winter season.
- Teams play other travel teams in Fairfield County.
5th Grade - 12th Grade
Our spring AAU teams are for kids that want to continue playing after the winter. Teams play in weekend tournaments throughout the spring and early summer
- Players must attend an evaluation
- weekday practices are held
- Tournaments are throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic
- Professional coaches
9th Grade - 12th Grade
A rec league for kids in high school. Seniors in high school captain teams.
- Two games a week, with no practices.
- Over 200 boys and 40 girls typically participate.
- All skill levels are present, and all ages play together,
- It is a great capstone to the NYBA experience
Be notified when registration is open
We are a not-for-profit sports organization supporting the community of Newtown, Connecticut. As an all-volunteer organization recognized as the Newtown Parks & Rec department, we are the preferred organization for the use of town facilities.
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.