NYBA Programs for All Ages
NYBA offers basketball programs throughout the year. From our primary season in the winter to camps in the summer, there are opportunities for the children of Newtown, Conn., to participate in the sport. What follows is a list of activities that happen most years. Please note this list is meant to be an example of activities; please see our news and registrations sections to find out up-to-date information on this year's programs
- Travel Basketball
- In September, boys and girls in 5th through 8th grade can try out for NYBA travel teams.
- Travel teams begin practices in November and play through April.
- The number of travel teams for each age group depends on the number of children who try out.
- The top group of each age group will play an extended schedule and will not participate in the in-town recreational league. All other travel teams in each age group will also be assigned to rec teams.
- In-Town Recreational League
- Our rec league plays its first games (or clinics) in early December and can run into March.
- Registration begins in September. You can specify the days of the week you would like your child's practices to be on. This provides flexibility with other sports.
- Games are always on Saturday. Most games are in the morning. There are no Sunday activities.
Our leagues are organized by grade, not age:
- Biddy Ball (Pre-K & K) - This is an instructional division with a focus on basic skills to learn the game with a fun approach. This is the only group where boys and girls play together. There are no teams, and it is not competitive. The program consists of 10 sessions which meet on Saturday mornings.
- 1st & 2nd Grade - This is a continuation of the instructional division along with an introduction to gameplay. Weekly clinics at the same time and place each week (rotating skill stations). Informal games (3 on 3) are played on Saturday mornings and run for 10 sessions.
- 3rd & 4th Grade - This is the first year of team-based competition. Children attend an evaluation in November and are placed into teams of 10. There is a team practice during the week (you can specify your preference of night in your registration) and there is a game Saturday morning.
- 5th & 6th Grade League, and 7th & 8th Grade League - these are continuations of the 3rd/4th-grade leagues and operate the same way.
- Senior League - this league is for high school students. Games start in December and are played on weeknights & weekends. Team captains are Seniors. There are no practices.
- AAU Monarchs Basketball
- Teams for 4th through 8th graders participate in Spring tournaments throughout the northeast. Teams play from April through June.
- Camps and Skill Sessions
- During summer vacation in July and August, the NYBA holds camps and skill sessions for boys and girls