As we start to plan what will hopefully be a return to a more normal basketball season this year, the board has identified a number of open positions in the organization that we need to fill. The NYBA strives to be a 100% all-volunteer organization with members of the community working together to provide our kids a great activity to be involved with over the winter.
While some positions in the organization require a knowledge of basketball, many do not! Here are some of the examples of the positions we need to make the organization work:
- Travel & rec coaches - we need people with basketball knowledge for all ages
- Rec & travel league directors - these positions help coordinate games for our 5 rec leagues for both boys and girls, as well as our 12 travel teams.
- Referee & scorekeeper managers - helps recruit kids to become refs and score keepers, schedules training. During the season, the person schedules coverage for all the games and ensures kids are paid.
- Uniform & equipment manager - helps procure and distribute equipment
- Registration & administration - people with technical aptitude to help with the web site, social media, and administering the registration system
As you can see, most of these positions do not require basketball expertise, just a willingness to help out in your community. The Board would also like to specifically encourage parents of younger children to reach out to participate. Often, people do not realize they want to help until their children have been in the program for a number of years and then are only able to help out during the very end of their children's involvement.
If you are interested in learning more, please fill out his very short form on our website. Everyone who fills out the form will be contacted, and by submitting the form you are under no obligation to help. We can have a conversation about where you can help and give you details on the level of commitment expected. From there you can decide if it's something you would like to do.